Monday, February 28, 2022

Veronica Carlson (1944-2022)

 






This is a post that I never wanted to write. 

The sudden passing of Veronica Carlson has affected cult movie fans worldwide. It has affected me more than most, because Veronica wasn't just a beautiful actress, and a talented artist--she was a dear friend of mine. The best way to put it is that I didn't just know Veronica Carlson, horror film heroine--I knew a wonderfully elegant lady named Veronica Glazer Love. 

I had the privilege of being a guest at Veronica's house in Bluffton, South Carolina. The first thing I noticed when I walked in was that there was no Hammer or other movie memorabilia prominently displayed, and there wasn't any photos of her as a model or actress on the walls. Instead, her house was filled with pictures of her family and examples of her artwork. These were the two things that meant the most to Veronica, the things she loved above all--her family and her art. 

I first met Veronica at the 2013 Monster Bash Conference in Pennsylvania, but we really got to know each other while in Texas during the filming of Joshua Kennedy's HOUSE OF THE GORGON in March 2018. Veronica truly was as beautiful on the inside as she was on the outside. She had the innate ability to make everyone around her feel special--and she didn't just do that for me, she did it for untold numbers of friends and fans all over the world. 

Despite all of her accomplishments, and her various talents, Veronica literally had no ego. She never thought that she was above any one else, and she never expected any sort of special treatment (this is a woman who shopped at Walmart). I'm just an ordinary guy who works for a living, and she treated me like I was special. She also did this for the many people who obtained her autograph at numerous movie conventions over the years (I saw this personally). 

Veronica was very proud to be considered a "Hammer Lady"--she once told me that it was an honor, and also a responsibility--but she didn't let that define her. She didn't sit around dwelling about what would have happened if she had stayed working in the entertainment industry....she was too busy enjoying life as a wife, mother, and grandmother. 

I didn't know Veronica for a very long time, but because of the way she treated me, it feels like I have known her my entire life. 

I know that Veronica is in a much better place than this world, because she was a much better person than this world deserves. 

5 comments:

  1. Dan, this is a lovely tribute to your friend. She does indeed sound like a wonderful lady, and I wish I could have met her. Once again, I am very sorry for your loss. I would imagine this year's Monster Bash will have some sort of tribute to her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure they will. I've already sent a message to Ron Adams about it.

      Delete
  2. Both you and Steve Vertlieb both sound a bit self promoting and in his case bragging... take these off of her FB wall... its in bad taste

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The only thing in bad taste is your retort to Dan’s blog

      Delete
  3. Yes, a beautiful soul and a true gem.

    ReplyDelete