Sunday, October 29, 2023

My Ten Favorite Hammer Movies (Part Two)

 






HORROR OF DRACULA (1958) 

The most famous Hammer film of them all. What can I say about this that hasn't already been said?? Well, can we give some love to Barbara Archer, who plays Inga the barmaid? After all, she's the one who gave Jonathan Harker's diary to Van Helsing. 

THE MUMMY (1959)

Nearly all of the major contributors to Hammer Horror--in front of and behind the camera--are here, and Christopher Lee in my opinion is the greatest movie mummy ever. 

QUATERMASS AND THE PIT (1967)

I didn't see the original British TV miniseries that this is based on until last year, but I still think the Hammer version is superior. Nigel Kneale adapts his own original script into a tighter and much more focused sci-fi thriller that gives the viewer plenty to think about. 

THE VAMPIRE LOVERS (1970)

Why do I admire this film so much? The accompanying photo provides all the explanations needed. 


THE QUATERMASS XPERIMENT (1955) 

The true beginning of Hammer Horror, this adaptation of Nigel Kneale's first Quatermass tale reduces it to a taut and suspenseful 82 minutes. Kneale didn't like Brian Donlevy's no-nonsense, get out of my way version of the title character, but I do. Richard Wordsworth (as the eventual creature) gives one of the creepiest performances in any science fiction/horror movie. 

No comments:

Post a Comment