Sunday, December 31, 2023

My Top Five Blu-rays Of 2023

 








It's time for another end-of-the-year best Blu-rays post. As usual, I tried to cut back on my home video purchases, and, as usual, I failed miserably. But it's my life. 

I must point out that all the choices were releases that I actually bought and watched in 2023. If you are wondering why there are no 4K releases on this list, it's because I don't have a 4K player. If you good folks want me to start writing posts on 4K discs, then I suggest you buy me a 4K player--and while you're at it, get me a 4K monitor and a region-free player too. 

Anyway, here's the list: 


1. CUSHING CURIOSITIES from Severin

Anyone who has any personal knowledge of me is well aware of the fact that Peter Cushing is my favorite all-time actor, so of course this set is going to be No. 1. There's been some internet griping about the films contained in the set, but the title isn't CUSHING STUFF THAT HAS BEEN RELEASED BEFORE MULTIPLE TIMES. I wrote a full post on this last month. 


2. LAUREL & HARDY: YEAR ONE from Flicker Alley

The beginnings of the world's most famous big-screen comedy team, with plenty of rare treats that most folks have never seen. Here's hoping there is a LAUREL & HARDY: YEAR TWO forthcoming. I wrote a post on this in September. 


3. THE CRIMINAL ACTS OF TOD SLAUGHTER from Indicator

I haven't written a full post on this set yet, but I intend to. Tod Slaughter was an English stage performer who had a larger-than-life acting style, and he made a number of melodramas that are considered the beginnings of the English Gothic movie genre. This set contains eight of Slaughter's films, remastered and restored, with all sorts of extras and an info-packed booklet. 


4. TOD BROWNING'S SIDESHOW SHOCKERS from Criterion

Three films from the master of classic Hollywood macabre, including a restored THE UNKNOWN with Lon Chaney, the very rare THE MYSTIC, and the notorious FREAKS, with all the expected Criterion bells & whistles. 


5. DOUGLAS FAIRBANKS DOUBLE FEATURE: THE THREE MUSKETEERS AND THE IRON MASK

Two magnificently restored silent films, made and starring a true icon of the pre-talkies age. I wrote a full post on this in November. 

No comments:

Post a Comment