Sunday, March 20, 2022

METROPOLIS And The Indianapolis Chamber Orchestra

 





The spectacular German silent epic METROPOLIS is one of my favorite films of all time. I've been mesmerized and entranced by it since I first saw it as a young teenager. 

Seeing METROPOLIS at any time, under any circumstances, is a great experience. But seeing the restored version in a theatrical venue? With an audience? AND with live orchestral accompaniment? AND with that orchestra playing the original music written for the film in 1927 by Gottfried Huppertz? 

That's what I experienced last night at the Schrott Center for the Arts, located on the campus of Butler University in Indianapolis, Indiana. 

I actually have seen METROPOLIS in a theater before--back in 2010, I saw the restored version of the film at the Browning Cinema on the campus of the University of Notre Dame. But the live music provided by the Indianapolis Chamber Orchestra gave an added dimension to the experience--it made the viewing of the film more emotional, more immediate. 

Before the screening the orchestra's conductor and musical director, Matthew Kraemer, gave a short talk to the audience, giving some background on the film and its music. He explained that there would be a 20 minute intermission about halfway through the film, and a short break later, for purposes of giving the musicians a rest. He pointed out that the orchestra was going to play two and a half hours of continuous music, and that this type of score certainly couldn't be practiced. (I'm glad he pointed this out--I think most people who attend any sort of concert takes for granted how hard musicians work.) I have to say from my perspective the ICO played magnificently. 




The audience seemed most appreciative, although it appeared to me that many in the crowd had never seen METROPOLIS before--after the show I overheard some snippets of conversation from folks who mentioned they were a bit mystified by it. The main thing is that one of the greatest films ever made got a public screening, with a live performance of its original score, and that it was a wonderful event. 

Before the showing I met up with my friend Dustin Jablonski, and he gave me some copies of a Japanese METROPOLIS poster book from the very files of Forrest J. Ackerman! 




I have to say that last night was one of the best cinematic experiences I have ever had. It was much, much better than watching a typical new three-hour big budget franchise film. 

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like a wonderful evening. Glad you enjoyed it. I love that poster book. Years ago I attended a local film festival that showed Battleship Potemkin with a live orchestra, and it was very impressive.

    ReplyDelete