Wednesday, March 6, 2013

You're Braver Than I Thought

The big movie news on the internet today is that Carrie Fisher has said she will reprise her role as Princess Leia in the next Star Wars film being made by Disney.

Now...does this "legitimize" the upcoming Episode VII?

I wouldn't say that. J. J. Abrams, who is going to direct Episode VII, gave the original Spock, Leonard Nimoy, a role in the rebooting of Star Trek. In my humble opinion, Abrams' STAR TREK wasn't all that great, even with Nimoy--in fact Nimoy's extended cameo just underscored how lacking the new version of Star Trek was.

But...if not just Carrie Fisher, but Mark Hamill and Harrison Ford also show up, it's a fantastic PR coup for Disney. No matter how crappy the next Star Wars may be, or how little screen time Luke, Han, and Leia have, millions of fans will go see the movie just to see them. Luke, Han and Leia are three of the most iconic characters in cinema history. It certainly won't hurt the picture to have them in it.

I've already read a number of "Old Leia" jokes on the internet already. It's obvious that Carrie Fisher isn't in her twenties anymore, and nearly everyone knows about the issues she's dealt with over the years. But when I read these things it makes me wonder--are we saying that once a woman reaches a certain age (especially a woman in the entertainment industry), is that woman to be considered useless?

I've always had a soft spot for Carrie Fisher--she was the first female I ever had a real crush on. So I'm glad to see her back in the Star Wars Universe--but I'm biding my time before I start to get excited over this future Star Wars film. Let's not forget that we are dealing with modern-day Hollywood. There's still plenty of ways Disney can screw this up.

As of right now, I consider myself cautiously optimistic.



No comments:

Post a Comment